Pages

25 April, 2012

Cover Letter Myths

Here is an article from AOL's jobs site that uncovers three cover letter myths. The first two are fairly straight forward, but the third deserves some discussion:

Explain what experience you have that proves you can do the job.

This seems contrary to most of the common advice, that is that the cover letter should explain how you meet the qualifications they are looking for. Provide more detail about your background and paint a fuller picture than a resume with its list of names, dates, and events. But the advice in this article yet again reenforces the importance of researching the company and position you are applying for. If you can learn more about them and their circumstance from your research you can paint a picture with your cover letter that explains how you can solve their need.

As a personal example I recently applied for a position as a manager of a small branch library. I have not had experience in a position exactly like this before, but I have had a position with the wonderfully descriptive title of Operations Coordinator. This position even though it had been a few years ago was the closest to what I was trying (still am) to become so I focused on it in my cover letter. I have not talked to the hiring committee since they are still making the decision, but if I don't get it for some reason I will inquire about this cover letter. It is my belief that the cover letter at the very least secured me the interview since I used it to relate the similarities between one of my past jobs and the role they are hoping to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment