Pages

05 September, 2012

How do we define ourselves?

I have seen this theme recurring over the past few months, without a career how does one define themselves? Here is the latest piece from NPR contributor Scott Simon. As someone who was looking for work until very recently I can say from personal experience that I continued to think of myself as a librarian. In web communication and when networking I would explain that I was a librarian without a library.

It appears from this story that I am fortunate in that my current part-time position is still in the field for which I am trained. When this is not the case how does that effect one's feelings of self worth and mental well being?

Would it possible be better to begin shifting our focus to our other interests? Family, hobbies, activities?

Also how does this tie into the American trait of working too much, and not using the vacation time they have earned? In study after study Americans consistently (myself includes, when I earned vacation) don't take all the vacation time they earn at their full time jobs. Is this healthy?

I would love to hear what others think.

No comments:

Post a Comment