Pages

06 September, 2012

More things not to do in an interview.

I bring up this piece from AOL Jobs, not because the list is particularly unique. Rather I bring it up to first remind us that there might be things we are doing that could hurt our chances. It never hurts to have practice interview time with a job coach, counselor, or other HR expert. All states should have work force development office with these types of services, as well as the career services office from any college you may have attended.

My second reason for mentioning this specific list is that it highlights the one area I hope to be counseling/advising against:

Having no clue about the company you're interviewing with.

 In the world we live in, there is no excuse for going into an interview unprepared to talk about them and their business. The best candidates will also be able to tie that knowledge into their own experience and how they can be the best fit for the job they are interviewing for. In the posts labeled research tips I try to either highlight articles on the web that give good information about performing this type of research, or my own insights from four years at Purdue University working with students in the Krannert School of Management.

I think that the best place to start is the post I wrote about searching business news sources. That post also links back to two earlier posts for some more basics.



No comments:

Post a Comment