Pages

06 March, 2012

Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0/3.0

I am reading through this very interesting book by Jay Conrad Levinson and David E. Perry. The second edition is very good, with practical advice. As the authors mention early on in the book there are many such advice texts on the market, but few are written by a marketing experts and an executive head hunter.

Now admittedly the book is written for a decidedly corporate audience, but some of the advice is universal. For example where many books would talk about analyzing your strengths and interests and focusing a job search on careers that highlight these... the Guerrilla method (as they call it) has the reader write down all these personal interests and professional strengths and compare the lists. Find the intersections of these lists and concentrate on them.

They also advocate researching the companies you are targeting and the industry(ies) that these companies fall within. As a librarian that preaches a similar message and teaches those skills I  am very much in favor.

As a public servant I realize the importance of marketing ones skills and self, but I find it difficult. I will post more thoughts about the book as I continue to read through it. In the meantime how are all of you dealing with marketing yourselves? I welcome the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment