Pages

16 January, 2013

Ten ways to make your XXXX job application better than everyone else's

This post was written by Matt Thompson (a journalist) with ten tips for other journalists to improve their job applications. These tips however are applicable to ANY profession. I strongly encourage you to read the full piece, but here are his tips:

  1. Read between the lines of my job description.
  2. Get your vanity search in order.
  3. Speaking of which, please have a personal site.
  4. Your cover letter should tell me two stories, and both should be fascinating.
  5. There’s more than one way to skin a resume.
  6. Even if I’m not following you on social media, assume I am.
  7. Don’t hesitate to get one of our mutual colleagues to recommend you to me.
  8. A little follow-up at any point in this process doesn’t hurt. A lot might.
  9. The very best interviews feel like great conversations.
  10. Every hiring manager is different.

His narrative does a great job explaining how these can be applied to job searches/applications. The number one suggestion to me seems to be arguing for doing your homework/research about the position and company (hint: if you haven't read this blog for long this is my mantra.)

I like the idea of the cover letter telling two stories. I wish there had been room in his piece to give examples, or at least more advice... which leads me to my charge for all of you. If you have done this please share tips, advice, examples in the comments. If you have not, but have thoughts share those as well.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment