Pages

15 May, 2012

8 'New' Techniques to land a job.

Here is an article appearing on a blog New Grad Life and it is entitled "8 New Techniques to Land a Job." My first thought is that they are not new techniques, and even if you are 18 and just graduated from high school you have probably heard one or more of them before.

1) Set goals
2) Find the right targets
3) Seek expert assistance
4) Get to work
5) Keep it positive
6) Hit the club scene
7) Ask why
8) Relax

Now most of these I agree with, and try to practice to keep my sanity during my 18 month and growing unemployment. I strongly recommend 'hitting the club scene'. I was a member of a job club at my local public library for a while and it helped connect with others in a similar boat as myself. But I want to focus the asking why. I have tried this over and over, and only once is the past 18 months has an employer given any answer past the most common "... there were (many, hundreds, ...) of qualified applicants..." and more often than not I never get any answer to the question. Now I have covered before how interviewing works both ways and hopefully the employer is treating you with respect, but it seems to me that this is becoming an increasing problem.

Have others experienced this lack of response to simple questions to the interviewer/employer when they have asked for feedback on how to improve as a candidate?

No comments:

Post a Comment