Pages

07 February, 2012

The Elevator Pitch!

I found this tool for helping craft an elevator pitch. It comes from the Harvard Business School, and once you have entered your pitch it analyzes it for you. Basically you are asked to enter your pitch in four sections; who, what, why, and goal. The system them gives you a word count, time estimate, and number of repeated words. There are tips and suggestions of strong words along the way. It is an interesting site, but if you don't have a cohesive pitch in mind going in I am not sure it helps craft or build a pitch.

Other than general advice to keep your pitch short and engaging, and to avoid jargon specific to your field... I have found little consensus about how best to craft an elevator pitch. What do others think? Do you have a strong pitch that you would be willing to share?

2 comments:

  1. George, Thanks for the website on analyzing "elevator speeches". I went there and put in my speech and had it analyzed, after a few minutes I modified it to something I think I can use. Below is my pitch tell me your thoughts on it Thanks! Jerry

    Hi! I'm a business professional who has been successful improving processes and people by using my management and training expertise. I’ve lead projects large and small that were responsive to the needs of my employers and customers. I have an organizational and staff development practice I called Yurway Coaching Consultants and I specialize in providing assistance in these matters to small companies employing fewer than 100 employees. Here's my card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry,

    That sounds like a good pitch. My first question would be how long does it take you to deliver it? The standard advice is to aim for somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. As long as you are in that range, then you have achieved the first goal of a good pitch, explaining your business to a stranger in a short time frame. The next standard advice is to keep it fresh... so once your business has a few successes under your belt, then freshen your pitch with some details about those successes.

    -George

    ReplyDelete