Pages

01 February, 2012

Cover Letter advice

I just read an interesting perspective about cover letters written by Adam Dachis at lifehacker. I think that this piece illustrates the point I have made in past posts (company research and business news) about performing research about the company you are applying to. Keep this advice in mind as you conduct your research and how you can use the information you are finding in both a cover letter and an interview situation.

To be honest most of my cover letters over the past year and a half have been closer to the generic style Mr. Dachis describes. I always write custom cover letters for each position, and try to incorporate some facet of the employers mission or vision I have learned in my research. Perhaps that is why I have gotten interview offers from around 50% of my applications... but if I was being less formulaic would I have gotten an even better return on my investment?

Have any of you used unique cover letters to either success or failure?

2 comments:

  1. I just sent a cover letter for a summer internship which I felt truly reflected who I am as an individual. It said things like "Plays well with others" in Skills - stuff like that. I'll come back if I'm able when (& IF) I get any response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Good luck with this and all future career searching endeavors. I will be interested in hearing about how this cover letter technique works out. I of course always try to make it understood that I am a good team player, but am always a bit self conscious about how I "toot my own horn" in these situations. I feel a bit more confident in the interview, which is of course harder to get.

      -George

      Delete