Pages

11 October, 2012

Is it a Mistake to Hold Out For a Full-Time Job?

This is the question posed by Fran Hopkins in a piece over on the AOL Jobs blog. Before I get into her reasoning I must state the obvious, that this is a very personal decision that hinges on many factors that are all unique to your own situation. For Ms. Hopkins she feels that she can support herself as a freelance writer. I she is being published on AOL Jobs, then we can assume that this is a reasonable decision for her to make. We of course don't know how long she has been looking, what exactly her specialty/field is or her geographic location. All of these will play a large role in this type of decision.

For myself, I have taken part time work. First I am geographically tied to one place, so I can only apply for jobs in a limited area. Second my profession (librarianship) is tied directly and indirectly to government spending, which as most know has been declining in recent years. Lastly and probably most importantly I had been out of work for close to two years. As I described in my last post, a lengthy unemployment is becoming increasingly harder to overcome in this job market. If I had continued to hold out for full-time work I could have been hurting my chances with each passing month.

Unlike Ms. Hopkins I am finding my part-time work very rewarding. The job functions are nearly identical to those I performed in my last full-time job, so that helps. The part-time hours still gives me time to search for full-time work. Perhaps most importantly I can be a little more selective in what full-time jobs I apply for. This is of course something that many might not be able to do, but for my current situation I can be more selective.

If you have been reading my blog long you will be aware of the importance of researching a job and company before and during your application/review/interview process. This means that if you can be more selective (a big if for many job seekers) you have the ability to only apply for jobs that truly match your skills and abilities AND that you are passionate about landing. This will show in both the cover letter and the interview process, which should count in your favor.

I hope that all of you are fortunate enough to have a situation that allows selectivity. Take the time to prepare for the writing of the cover letter and the interview(s). Your dream job is out there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment